Thursday, February 17, 2011

Collections

I was never really into collecting until my husband and I had our own apartment. All our furniture was family hand-me-downs and we had very little money, and no extra to upgrade the furnishings. Our apartment lacked all sense of a home.This was the 80's and design magazines had just started showing up. I fell for the "country" look in my favorite magazines - Country Living and Country Home. These homes had STUFF, remember country clutter. The articles talked about country collectibles and antique stores. We were living in west Texas at the time and lucky enough to have many antique stores.  I started collecting slowly. A cobalt dish caught my eye, I found out this was called depression glass and immediately purchased a book on the subject. I spent years working on this collection-plates, cups, saucers, bowls and tumblers. Then other things caught my eye (pillows, quilts, pottery, picnic baskets, miniature irons, glass candy containers, flower pictures, children's chairs, tole trays, seltzer bottles, enamelware...). I would stop collecting an item when the price would get too high. I still have many of these collections, even though I am no longer a fan of country clutter. I like to display my collections around our home.

















It's these kind of collections that really give a home personality.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. It's these kind of personal touches that really make a house a home. I love those chairs, especially. Gorgeous!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Top Sites